Friday, March 25, 2016

10 Freelance Academic Writing Fears More Frightening than Stephen King

You know that there are numerous phobias with weird names for almost every fear that a person can have: balonephobia (fear of needles and pins), cometophobia (obvious) or bibliophobia (fear of books; a kind of sacrilege, isn’t it?).



I haven’t found anything related to academic writing specifically but the closest disorder to it is atychiphobia or academic phobia – the fear of failure in learning. Well, I can’t say that I’m obsessed with the idea that I must excel at everything I learn, but I have some fears that have appeared as a result of my occupation. Let’s look into them more closely.

  1. I won’t make it until deadline.
  2. I will accidentally plagiarize something.
  3. My statement proofs are not convincing enough.
  4. My writing skills haven’t improved.
  5. The client won’t like the paper.
  6. I have missed a mistake!
  7. I am not qualified enough for that assignment.
  8. My language has degraded.
  9. I have missed an update in citation rules.
  10. All my writing has disappeared from my laptop.


I am sure that some freelance academic writers understand me and my fears. It is natural to be nervous when you are about to complete a serious task because some details may not be taken into account. There is always a risk …



On the one hand, I understand that these fears make me more thorough and diligent. On the other hand, they sometimes stop me from using, for instance, innovative data because it seems almost unreal and I think that the client may not accept that.


Confidence play an important role in academic writing and it certainly needs to be developed but at the same time doubting your decisions can sometimes make your work better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment